|Mar 22, 2017||
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
Drinking water kefir can change your life. If you want to achieve your optimal health, strengthen your immune system and restore good digestion – this drink is for you. Your digestive system needs trillions upon trillions of good bacteria to keep you alive and happy. It is essential to take good care of your digestive system because more than 75% of your immune system is housed in your digestive system. When your body is out of balance, unfriendly opportunistic bacteria and yeasts can take over - producing food allergies, bad digestion, skin rashes, flu, headaches, and more serious disorders. Making your own water kefir is the perfect solution to these problems. It is delicious, refreshing, fizzy and filled with probiotics, enzymes and b-vitamins. Best of all, it is cheap, easy and fun to make!
WHAT IS WATER KEFIR?
You need “kefir grains” to make water kefir. This can be bought once off and then the “kefir grains” multiplies. It has an unlimited life span and can be used repeatedly to make water kefir. There are no actual “grains” in the “kefir grains” and therefor it is gluten-free. The term “grains” describe only the look of the culture. According to some research, the culture forms on the pads of the Opuntia cactus as hard granules that can be reconstituted in a sugar-water solution to ferment into this delicious probiotic drink. Water kefir grains consist of bacteria and yeast existing in a symbiotic relationship.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE WATER KEFIR?
Water kefir generally takes 24-48 hours to culture. When the weather is hot, it will speed up the process. The longer you wait, the more sugar the “kefir grains” will use, but do not wait longer than 48 yours to make new kefir, otherwise you might starve the grains.
WATER KEFIR IS MADE WITH SUGAR. HOW MUCH SUGAR IS LEFT IN THE FINAL PRODUCT?
I do not use sugar and therefor I was skeptical about drinking water kefir since it is made with a sugar-water solution. (On that note, honey cannot be used to make water kefir because it will harm the kefir grains). The good news is that the sugar is food for the water kefir culture and the final product does not have much sugar left in it. The longer you let it ferment, the less sugar it will have. Remember to not let it ferment more than 48 hours, because the water kefir grains can starve. It is safe to say that water kefir does not add to blood sugar fluctuations and do not feed those sugar cravings. The added benefit is that the fermentation process releases additional vitamins and minerals. There are also no added additives, chemicals or artificial products in your homemade kefir soda. Water kefir, when properly fermented, turns out a bit bubble just like conventional sodas and can be bottled and put in the fridge to add further effervescence. PS: My kids LOVE water kefir because it taste just like soda to them.
CREATIVE WAYS TO USE WATER KEFIR
• Drink it, as it is – your own healthy probiotic rich soda!
• Add flavor in a second fermentation. My favorite flavors are:
o Sliced pineapple & ginger
o 2 dried apricots
o 2 dried figs and sliced lemon
o A small handful of raisins
o ¼ cup mango or apple juice
• Use as a base for dairy-free smoothies
10 BENEFITS OF DRINKING WATER KEFIR
1. It can stop unhealthy food cravings, especially for sweet foods.
2. It cleanses your liver (your liver is your fat burning organ so you better take good care of it!).
3. Contributes to a healthy immune system.
4. Reduces inflammation.
5. It improves digestion and reduces flatulence, bloating, diarrhea, constipation and nausea.
6. Adds tons of “good bacteria” to your diet, which is essential for health and longevity.
7. Improves energy levels.
8. The condition of your skin, hair and nails improves and look healthier.
9. Helps many who suffer from depression, ADHD, autism and insomnia because it has a tranquilizing effect on the nervous system.
10. It benefits your endocrine system, which plays a huge role in your body, such as regulating your metabolism.
- 1/4 cup water kefir grains
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar raw and organic
- 1 cup fresh fruit you can use either pineapple, prunes, figs, apricots, peaches, berries, etc.
- 1 glass jar
- 1 paper towel
- 1 rubber band
- 1 wooden spoon
|No. of Servings:||cups|
- Cover the kefir with a paper towel and secure it with a rubber band.
- Leave the kefir for 2 days to ferment and use most of the sugar. Do not leave it for longer than 2 days, otherwise the kefir grains will starve.
- After 2 days you can get a new, clean glass jar. Pour the water kefir into the clean glass jar. Leave the water kefir grains with about ½ cup left-over water kefir in the other jar to be used for your next batch fresh water kefir.
- Use the water kefir (without the grains) and put it in a glass jar with a tight fitted lid. Put the sliced fruit into the glass jar and close it tightly.
- The next day you can enjoy the kefir straight away or you can pour it into a glass bottle and store in the fridge. (We never get to that stage because we drink our kefir as soon as it is ready because it is so delicious).
- PS: You can eat the fruit that you use to flavour the kefir.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.