I TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT, BUT CAN’T! WHY?
Many of us may not realise it, but there is a system in our body that controls everything. When you experience weight gain for no apparent reason, or you struggle to shed the fat that you work so hard to burn, this is your answer. This system is called your hormonal system. When your hormonal system (endocrine system) is out of balance, it can cause diseases and unwanted weight gain. This system is a collection of interrelated glands that produce hormones. The endocrine glands work together as a team to produce virtually every function in the body.
The hormonal system is very sensitive to the food that we eat. It is essential to know which food enhances the hormonal system, and which food will upset the hormonal system. Let’s get equipped and know how to be happy and healthy!
Why is the hormonal system important?
- Mobilisations of fats
- Balances the appetite
- Bowel function
- Controls body weight
- Control the calcium levels in the blood
- Important in food digestion
- Balance blood sugar levels
- Regulates body temperature
- Controls sex drive
- Stimulates protein use
This is just a few of the importance roles that the endocrine system plays in the body, but I think it makes it pretty clear how important it is.
Foods that enhances your hormonal system
– Essential Fatty Acids help the hormonal system to function properly by helping the body to produce prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are hormone-like substances produced from fatty acids. They are essential to the delicate balance of the hormonal system. Good fats which contain Essential Fatty Acids are best found in natural, unheated foods such as avocados, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sweet corn, olives, nuts, vegetables and cold-pressed oils. Don’t avoid these foods. They are high in good fats (called essential fatty acids) that fire up your metabolism so that you can lose weight and keep it off for good.
– Kelp and other seaweeds which are high in iodine can boost your metabolism by activating an inactive thyroid, so can green super foods.
– Foods high in Vitamin C are necessary for the healthy function of the adrenal glands.
– Exercise plays an important role in regulating the endocrine system by stimulating the production of many different hormones.
Foods that affect your hormonal system negatively
– Refined sugar affects the pituitary gland (main control gland) by causing a drop in blood sugar, which in turn causes the pituitary, adrenal and thyroid glands to malfunction. Refined sugar also causes hypoglycaemia where insulin is overproduced and the adrenals then produce too much adrenalin.
– Artificial sweeteners cause neuro-endocrine disorders. Aspartame upsets the endocrine system and slows down the function of the thyroid and thereby slows down metabolic rate, which defeat the reason for taking it.
– Chocolate, tea, coffee, vinegar, colas, drugs and medication and diary products also upset the endocrine system.
Years of neglecting to be mindful of your health may cause serious damage to your body. Remember that it can take up to two years to correct the body, including the endocrine system. It takes patience, but is absolutely worth it.